God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, September 12, 2024

ROLLIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY; Castle Rock-WA to Long Beach-WA


Today, Independence was packed up … and we left Castle Rock-WA, on the road to Long Beach-WA :-)

Holland loves the beach, so I am glad we will be spending a month in Long Beach before we head south to Arizona for the winter months.

This drive to Long Beach was also a test to see how well Independence would handle the long drive south over the rough and torn roads along that route - Holland drove us to the beach over the KM … it was rough, but she passed with flying colors; so we definitely will be going down south. And Holland will be driving a different route because it will be going through towns and showing me sights I haven't yet experienced (he has, but this is a special favor to me ;-)). I am so blessed Elohim paired my life with Holland's.

Before we left Longview, Holland called his brother Scott to come meet him at the Mall:

Longview-WA from Castle Rock-WA; 17 min (11.4 mi) via I-5 S
Older brother, Scott … 2 yrs older than Holland & 2 years younger than me ;-)

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - "Roll On Down The Highway":  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJ1-v9jv2Q)

Passing through Skamokawa, Holland asked me where I had lived when I was a girl growing up there - so, I showed him as we passed by Ingalls Road. And I pointed out Doug's house - and the side spur road that led to David's house … a skip, hop, and a jump further up the road.

Skamokawa from Longview; 43 min (34.0 mi) via WA-4 W

Then, Holland asked, "And you walked to Graysriver from here?" And I smiled and said, "Yep. Mom had married John, so this would have been 1970; I was 13 years old, walking over the KM every weekend - from Ingalls Road to Appelo's Store in Graysriver, and sometimes around the Covered Bridge Loop too, if I was really a glutton for physical punishment. Hahaha. When Appelo's moved their store to Naselle … I pushed myself further, and walked there, too." Holland said, "Graysriver from here, would be about a 20 mile hike …"  I grinned at him, and said, "Yeah; my legs were gorgeous things - not long, but beautifully toned. They drive the guys wild."

The weekly hikes gave me peace of mind, and great legs ;-)
Ingalls Road, Skamokawa-WA to Graysriver-WA by vehicle, 20+ mi ONE WAY (24+ mi if Covered Bridge Loop was included): by foot, it was basically an all day hiking trip.
ZZ Top - "Legs" song
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LtsdBgbnLk)

When we passed through Graysriver, I pointed out the place Appelo's Store used to stand before it was torn down.

Graysriver from Longview; 54 min (44.5 mi) via WA-4 W

When we drove past Appelo's, in Naselle, I pointed to the building and said, "After crossing the KM, I'd be thirsty and really looking forward to a coke I'd buy at the store … and sometimes I'd buy a pack of Marlboro Red's, too: after the store was moved here from Graysriver, my poor dogs were barking, and I barely had the energy to gulp the coke or light the cigarette: but I did it, because I could." He asked, "You walked 40 miles for a coke and cigarette?" I laughed and said, "It didn't seem so long; I was young. I walked forty miles to escape the chaotic drama at home - plus I needed to satisfy my wandering gypsy bone - you know I have a gypsy done: the coke and cigarette was just fringe benefits of being young and carefree. Plus, I'd walked up a sweat, and punished my body with the extra mileage … I wasn't going home empty handed. Hahaha."

Naselle-WA from Longview-WA; 1 hr 10 min (57.3 mi) via WA-4 W
Ingalls Road, Skamokawa-WA to Appelo's, Naselle-WA by vehicle, 42+ mi ONE WAY (46+ if Covered Bridge Loop was included): by foot, it was basically an all day hiking trip.


When we reached Longbeach, we stopped at the Pioneer Market, and bought a couple slices of pizza to munch on before driving further down the road to our destination. As we ate; we watched three deer come down off the incline across the street, to munch on fallen apples:

Long Beach-WA from Longview-WA; 1 hr 29 min (68.5 mi) via US-30
1 doe & 2 young bucks; Long Beach-WA

Satisfied with the light lunch and critter watch, we moseyed on down the highway to Ocean Park-WA, where we unhooked Independence … and immediately drove to the beach ;-)

We'd finish setting up when we got back.

First things first, LOL; Holland's 'beach fix'; Ocean Park-WA ;-)

Holland really relaxes around water, so no matter where we end up - I know some kind of water (ocean, river, lake, pond …), will be part of the scenery.

And I always know where he can be found when he huffs off and needs an hour to cool down; LOL

Back home, we set the house right, then unwound with a hour-long siesta (it was a very busy week in Castle Rock; we were tuckered out after today's activity); and are happily settled in, tonight.

To the backbeat of a rain shower burst, Holland is watching a movie - and I'm finishing up that little preemie sacque:

Buttons & snaps sewn to the front.
The heavens opened …

Finished & ready for delivery ;-)

All is cozy, and well, in our small corner of the world :-)

2 comments: