God Knew That I Needed You

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

POOL TOURNAMENT; Yuma-AZ

December 4th: I'm taking time to make time for personal time.

We're paying big bucks for a space at the RV Resort with all the bells and whistles … and this morning, I decided to take David's advice and "get out of the house and meet people".

I'd rather be out of house with my husband, but his left knee is giving him trouble; so I decided to go Solo Lobo, again.

I located the Gym Room the other day … today I went looking for the Billiards Room.

Poolside Cabana booths.
I located the Billiard's Room & Lounge.

I had been playing against myself for about an hour, when people started funneling into the room; apparently Monday is the day of the Women's Tournament games.

I was asked if I wanted to join - three times I declined, and kept on playing against myself. But David and Holland's encouragements kept echoing through my thoughts after each decline … and finally, I accepted.

I love to shoot pool: and can play all day long ;-)

I was matched with Maureen; we won 3 games in Team Playoff's before she 'scratched' …
Mike, Beverly, ?, Cathy, Toni, Jenny, Bernice, ?, & Maureen.
I nursed this 1 beer, while everyone else was doing jello-vodka shots.
Text to Holland.

I generally shy away from meeting new people because sooner or later, they start grilling you about your personal life (husband, kids, grandkids, background, ect.); and I'm not comfortable with the inquisitive questioning. Volunteering things about my life is different; grilling - even friendly questioning, is intrusive. MPO

The questions did eventually come, and I stonewalled most of them because my personal life is nobody's business unless I choose to open up to them.

Several people wanted to give me free advice on how to hold the pool stick, how to stand while lining up a shot, how to use the cheater stick, yada-yada-yada: but I just smiled and said, "thank you, but this is my style, and I like it. It works for me", while thinking to myself, 'this is exactly why I do not engage in tournament play.'

And due to the vodka shots everyone but me was downing … I was home before 8 P.M. - and I came home with $ winnings ;-)

But I don't think I'll play tournament rounds again.

I shoot pool to have fun.

I play against myself to improve myself (so if Holland ever plays with me, I can good-naturedly beat him in a friendly game ;-))

Team pressures from drunken strangers who play {for fun}, with non-fun competitiveness that rides a mean streak, takes all the fun out of it. MPO

No comments:

Post a Comment