God Knew That I Needed You

Saturday, January 6, 2024

DOWNTOWN TUCSON-AZ~Shabbat Eve

We decided to rise early and go exploring before the day advanced too far into the afternoon hours - there was one particular site we wanted to visit :-)

This building caught our attention when we entered Tucson, Thursday … we were mistaken about what it was.
Southern Arizona VA Health Care
(https://www.va.gov/southern-arizona-health-care/)
A BIG pink building.
'Maybe he's color blind …'

As we laughingly re-entered traffic, Holland treated me to downtown sights: he wanted to make sure "you get your pictures, Baby": we don't know what kind of freeze Tucson will experience this weekend - all we know is that whatever happens, will be unprecedented for this region; although higher elevations like Flagstaff annually get a significant snowfall … Holland has only known Phoenix to get a light snow dusting 37 years ago, when he was living and working there.

My loving husband wanted to ensure my week in Tucson isn't a bust, so he ferried me around downtown to see the sights, there … and I agreed if afterwards, he'd lay down and rest when we got back home ;-)

I could see his eyes were hot - that meant his lungs were on fire: he has a chest cold whether he wants to acknowledge that, or not. I'm going to pamper him, and pull the Wife Card when necessary: he needs to rest and heal. There's no time clock to be punched, and no real hurry to get anywhere until the backend of February.

Downtown, Tucson-AZ skyline.
St. Augustine Cathedral; Tucson-AZ
A colorful openwork arch on the Cathedral Plaza.
Openwork Band Shell
(https://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-oddity-flowery-covering-sets-stage-for-performances/article_21d0e5d4-7137-58cf-adc1-179ceb5e0e20.html)
St. Augustine Cathedral; Tucson-AZ: (https://tucson.com/news/local/watch-now-tucsons-historic-st-augustine-cathedral/video_a819e998-abb0-5dc1-b5c6-96c19474c885.html)
This little stucco church appealed to us; the Primera Iglesia Bautista (First Mexican Baptist Church in English) in the Barrio Viejo historic neighborhood of Tucson, Arizona.
The Primera Iglesia Bautista
(https://borderlore.org/inside-tucsons-primera-iglesia-bautista/)

When we saw this building, Holland said, "Look Baby - it's Jewish … I'm gonna pull over so you can check it  out - take your time."

Rose and Maurice Silverman Jewish History Museum Campus, Tucson-AZ

He's trying; and meeting me halfway. And I appreciate it.

Even though it was a holocaust memorial building instead of a synagogue, I was thankful to see it today, on this Sabbath Day: the one day a week, we Jews (Messianic, as well as orthodox) determine to forgive-embrace love and peace-and invite whole-body rest, by declaring a truce between ourselves and the world :-)

Concerning the Sabbath … does it make any difference which Day of the week, we observe? Does the Bible establish Sunday as the Lord's Day? Was the Sabbath given for the Jewish people only - while Christians are commanded to keep Sunday as the Lord's Day?

I try not to get caught up in loop arguments that mean nothing at all in the grand scope of things. What I do believe, and say, is that Elohim ordained a specified Day of Rest (and as far as I can discern, that memorial has never been rescinded); so, every Seventh Day, I set my 24-hour Island of Rest aside: without all the orthodox traditions.

As Yeshua, Himself, exampled.

Personally, I start counting my seven days from the day I begin work (I'm retired … some days, I'm a lazy, laid-back thing ;-)) - so my Shabbat Rest can literally fall on any Day of any week, though I do generally rest on the Day most Jews across the globe, do ;-)

Stained Glass Windows & Gate Motif; Holland pointed both out to me as I got out of the truck to take pictures - "Look at the stained glass windows, Baby … and the gate."
Side view & parking lot.
Rose and Maurice Silverman Jewish History Museum Campus:
 (https://azjewishpost.com/2016/museums-prep-for-grand-re-opening-feb-21/ & https://www.tucsonlocalmedia.com/deserttimes/article_749f9df4-dffb-11e5-b432-87cc1bb4a9b9.html)
Barrio Arches; Tucson-AZ
Five Points Barrio Arches
(https://www.kold.com/2021/03/14/five-points-intersection-art-project-construction-complete/ & https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/midtown-news/five-points-why-tucson-began-in-the-barrios)
I pointed to the Cesar Chavez Arch, and asked Holland if he knew who Cesar was - Holland did not know the background history of Cesar Chavez; so I informed him ;-)

Cesar Chavez: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Chavez

I originally supported Cesar … but when he became more a messiah-complexed-politician, than a farm worker advocate … he lost his vision, as well as my support. But, he is still an important historical figure.

Colorful Tucson Barrio Homes: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60950-d561907-Reviews-Barrio_Historico-Tucson_Arizona.html

The Santa Cruz Catholic Church; Tucson-AZ: (https://tv.azpm.org/p/arts/2020/1/13/164301-santa-cruz-church/)
The advertising appeared to be a good deal …
Very expensive 3-gallon propane refill.
In the barrio district.
I just consider the overcharge a Shabbat tzedakah.
Tzedakah:
 (https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4203668/jewish/What-Is-Tzedakah.htm)

In Mexico, the word "barrio", can mean: (1) a slum neighborhood or a dangerous poor neighborhood (2) a new government program where they call "barrios mágicos" those beautiful historical small colonial towns trapped inside a big city.

Very pretty street curb mosaics …

Most of the church buildings we saw today were catholic, and I do not support the catholic religion … but, I admit, the buildings were very lovely - even though the religion itself, is not, and is basically paganist in nature.

What does the Bible really say about the Sabbath? It is generally assumed that Sunday is the correct day. 

Few people realize that the Sabbath vs. Catholic enforced Sunday controversy raged during the first three centuries of the Christian era, and thousands were tortured and put to death over this question both before and after the Emperor Constantine supposedly "resolved" the heated debate in his Sabbatical edict in AD 321.

If so many chose death over observing a man-made-day not commanded by God, could not this dispute be more significant than we may have thought?

Roman Catholicism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_Great#:~:text=Although%20Constantine%20lived%20much%20of,Church%20and%20the%20Coptic%20Orthodox

Was not The Law … "including the Sabbath - nailed to the cross" … when Christ was crucified? 

Is it possible that all of these churches are wrong on this fundamental doctrine?

And, does it really make any difference?

What about scriptures like Galatians 4:10 or Colossians 2:16: do they not prove that it does not matter which day we keep?

For me … I do what I am led to do concerning adhering to Scripture, and let Elohim sort everyone else out.

We enjoyed our drive.

It was fun to see all those historic buildings.

Holland did come home and rest :-)

And I had a cup of hot cocoa and checked upcoming weather reports (Holland is hoping to squeeze a trip to Tombstone in, before we leave this region).

A mug of hot cocoa with a heart-shaped marshmallow ;-)

Researching general Tucson Winter weather, I read that on the morning of January 7, 1913, the mercury bottomed out at a frigid 6° at the University of Arizona, then the official temperature location in Tucson. Based on newspaper reports some low-lying areas in Tucson did report temperatures as low as zero.

WOWSERS!

I hope, and pray, that the Winter of 2024 will not be a repeat of 1913.

A trip to Tombstone, doesn't look good, either :-(

Tombstone-AZ temperatures, this week …
Winter weather = Tombstone-AZ

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing adventure. The architecture really is impressive. What a fun trip. I enjoyed your thoughts on the Day of Rest as well. I lived in Israel for a couple of years, and my (Christian) church met on Saturdays since Shabbat is on Saturday in Israel. I appreciated the no-fuss, seamless way that emphasized that it's about obedience to the Lord's commands and having a day of rest to focus more on Him. :) Visiting from Sweet Tea & Friends. (I'd love to see you share this post at my linkup as well, if you're interested: https://lifetalesbooks.blogspot.com/p/calling-fellow-bloggers.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a very fun Day … and the architecture was engaging :-)

      Thank you for your visit; and your comments.

      Have a funtastic week!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you also shared this post at the Will Blog for Comments #20 linkup this week. I hope to see you there next week also sharing more posts--new or old! Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful. A place that I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is lovely.

      Thank you for stopping by - you share some very beautiful places to visit, on your Blog also ;-)

      Have a funtastic weekend!

      Delete
  3. Val, your photos are stunning! I love your commentary about the places you visited. I also love how Holland is trying and meeting you half way. Tell him from me, to get in bed, listen to his wife and take care of that cold. Lol.
    Thanks bunches and bunches for sharing this with me at Sweet Tea & Friends this month sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula :-)

      I am enjoying our friendship, Friend - have a funtastic weekend!

      Delete