God Knew That I Needed You

Saturday, March 9, 2024

EASY CYCLING~My Senior Exercise Plan; #12/Long Beach-WA

As we age, it becomes increasingly important to maintain an active lifestyle to enjoy life to the fullest - my life has no future plans for shuffling a walker across the room, so I exercise to remain flexible as well as reasonably toned … and heart-healthy.

However, not all seniors are able to engage in high-impact exercise (like my husband), and that is where pedal exercisers come in: pedal exercisers are low-impact exercise machines that can be used while seated. They provide a gentle workout for the legs and can help people with physical limitations improve their circulation, and strengthen their muscles. This pedal exerciser can also be used for simple arm toning exercise to keep shoulder and back muscles fluid in mobility and strength.

I have always exercised: exercise is a permanent part of me - who I am; and what I do; I don't think Holland shares that outlook, but I hope that he will join me in keeping fit and strengthened :-)

We drove into Longview yesterday to pick up some pain meds for Holland … there was quite a bit of snow still piled along the shoulders of the KM Mountain (which really isn't that high); we are praying snow at higher elevations everywhere between here and california, melts quickly, so we can make the Harris Family Gathering on the 15th.

While Holland was busy at the Pharmacy window, I strolled the aisles and was happy to see what I was hoping I would find …

FOUND it yesterday in Wal-Mart, so it came home with us ;-)
Oh no … these batteries are impossible to find! While I put it together (easy assembly), Holland went online to track replacement batteries, down - and found a source ;-)

Pedal exercisers are gentle exercise action for people (like both of us) who suffer arthritis flareups due to cold, damp, wet weather - as we have been experiencing down south, as well as here in the PNW - since November 2023.

Additionally, cycling exercises burn more calories in the same timeframe you would burn walking: BIG PLUS :-)

So, pedal exercisers are really a good choice all the way around, for seniors who want to tone muscles and lose weight, while keeping to their workout goals despite the weather … and if you are full-time RVr's like we are, they are perfect because they don't take up a lot of room when in use - and they easily fold up for small-space-storage.

This type of pedal exerciser has been in use for a long time; it’s a simple bicycle crank that you can adjust the resistance of, with a slight turn of the top screw-knob. It’s lightweight, and easy to use.
Easy to store when not in use - just remove the back screw-knob for compaction.

Seniors using the pedal exerciser for muscle toning and heart-health, should aim to engage in this low-compact exercise for 20-25 minutes a day; at least 2 or 3 times a week.


*FULL BODY WORKOUT~My Senior Exercise Plan; #11/Long Beach-WA https://roadgypsiesvalandholland.blogspot.com/2024/03/full-body-workoutmy-senior-exercise.html

No comments:

Post a Comment