God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, September 19, 2024

SLOW DOWN~My Ground Beef Shepherd's Pie Recipe; Long Beach Peninsula-WA

September 18th: My lungs have been hurting. I noticed the other night while brushing my teeth, that as I spit into the sink basin … dirty mucus had joined the frothy toothpaste spit: my lungs hurt because I they are in the throes of a bronchitis flareup. Bronchitis and asthma flareups are similar … but they are different lung ailments. Both cause difficulty breathing, and I have dealt with both conditions all of my life

Asthma is caused by environmental triggers like allergens, exercise, dust, pollen, mold, smoke, chemicals, and stress. No one is born with asthma, but people can be born with genes that cause weak lungs, which increase the likelihood of developing the lung ailment. There is no cure for asthma, and it can lead to death if not tended to properly. Bronchitis is caused by viruses or bacteria; or by long-term exposure to lung irritants like air pollution, smoking, chemical fumes, and dust. Both my parents smoked heavily - so did my first husband for the first couple years of our life together. I was a social smoker for a while. Acute bronchitis can usually be fully recovered from within a few weeks, though a cough may linger for a few more weeks. Chronic bronchitis, however, cannot be cured, but treatments can help manage symptoms and slow the ailment's progression, and reduce flare-ups.

Is It Asthma, Bronchitis, or Both?https://www.everydayhealth.com/asthma/bronchitis-or-asthma.aspx

I've been taking things easy and slow the past few days. My body has been tiring easily because it's busy fighting to keep me alive - so, I've been sleeping a lot: early to bed most nights, and waking later than usual.

This morning I was up around 7 AM, and had the stove-top-percolator coffee pot (we have a fancy drip coffee maker, but I prefer the percolator ;-)) humming, when Holland staggered out of the bedroom, to join me in my morning coffee hour.

The coffee smelled so good! I had bought coffee beans a couple weeks ago - and ground some of the beans last night; we were both looking forward to this morning's cup of delicious aroma coffee :-)

Coffee also helps loosen mucus in our lungs = morning coffee is a win-win situation, in our household.

After our coffee hour, Holland asked me if I felt up to getting out of the house for a bit. I really didn't - my lungs hurt, but I also didn't want my handicap to hamstring me and keep me housebound, either. Holland understands this about me. An hour out-of-house would be relaxing = relaxing would effectively slow me down; and that's what my body needs right now, to heal itself. There are things that need to get done, in preparation for moving on down the road … but healing needs to happen first.

Holland also offered to drive me to Rosburg tomorrow, if I want to go - but I said I better stay home tomorrow. I have been wanting to go to Bible Study and chat with the girls afterwards … but people are weird about uncontrollable coughing. So, I won't go until I can breathe without choking up: I hope that will happen before we leave the Long Beach Peninsula.

Elohim did well putting Holland in my life - in every way, he is perfect for me (pretty much, 'made to order') - and 99% of the time, he is good for me, and good to me. I'm glad he's decided once and for all, to stick around for a lifetime = it was touch-n-go for awhile, but he's {in for the long haul} now ;-)

We spent time on the beach this morning - but the atmosphere was very somber today; the tide was rolling in high and had swallowed most of the expansive beachfront, and aside from the beach combing birds, the beach was pretty deserted. Normally, there are people and dogs, everywhere.

I think we only saw four people the entire hour we were watching waves.

There were no dogs, but vultures were out today: today's tide was rolling in on higher waves than yesterday … and the beach was littered with clumps of sea weed and a couple dead seals.

Vultures - the beach scenery looked like a dreary Edgar Allen Poe background, today.
Another dead seal … and clumps of sea weed.
We had to drive near the dunes today, because the tide was rolling in high.
We drove the beach from Cranberry Road access, to the Klipsan Beach access = 11 min (7.9 mi) via WA-103 N/Pacific Ave
Ocean Park Beach Access in down by the kites … 2 miles further.

Driving along, we stumbled upon a beach approach we weren't aware of, between Klipsan Beach & Ocean Park - so, we turned into it, and drove to the main highway. That was a nice change of scenery.

When we got home, I started Supper; which was a 2-step process … but it is not a hurry-hurry process, so my body was able to prepare supper in slo-mo activity - which is fine with Holland: he likes to eat late in the day, anyway ;-)

Portable Hot Plate.

The electric appliances are what we cook with when parked at an RV Park (the propane cook stove is used when boondocking); and I use aluminum foil pans for baking because they will not break when we are on the move … and they will not rust like metal or heavier tin-type baking pans.

Plus, the aluminum cooking pans fit my small ovens.

This is a recipe I last made on September 16th, 2018 in my previous life, for my first husband - I have modified it to fit my new life circumstances with my new husband. Holland likes it, so it will be a repeat :-)

In modification, I used 2 Angus Beef patties - broken down (Holland prefers Angus beef, they stack better in the little freezer, and the meat is economical in patty form); and I added peas & garlic, too (just because ;-)).

==MY GROUND BEEF SHEPHERD’S PIE Recipe ~makes 4 servings

This comfort casserole dish is perfect for heralding Fall days :-)

12 ounces ground Beef * 1 cup Beef Broth * 1 teaspoon Salt (salt substitute works fine, too) * Dash grnd. Black pepper * 2 bay Leaves * Dash Thyme leaves * 2 whole Cloves * 1 cup sliced carrots * 1 cup sliced mushrooms * 1 cup diced Celery * 1 cup diced Onions * 1/4 cup Peas * 1/4 cup all-purpose Flour * 1 pound peeled, COOKED Potatoes - mashed * 1 Tablespoon Margarine * ½ cup skim Milk * 3 ounces grated Cheddar cheese * 1 Tablespoon chopped Parsley * 8" Foil baking pan * Cooking Spray

Tonight's Supper Ingredients.

Prepare and boil potatoes. When potatoes are fork tender, mash with margarine, milk, parsley, and cheese. Place in a bowl, and refrigerate.

In a medium saucepan, on medium-high heat, brown the beef until it is no longer pink; drain the cooked beef on a plate over paper towels to eliminate some of the fatty residue.

Breaking the Angus Beef patties down …

Browning & wicking fatty grease from the beef.

Wipe the pan clean, and pour the beef broth into it - along with the seasonings. Add carrots, mushrooms, celery, and onions. Simmer 1 hour (or until veggies are just tender).

Broth, flour, spices, & veggies.
Simmering the beef pie filling …

In a small bowl mix flour and some of the hot beef broth; stirring constantly to form a smooth paste – add to beef and veggies; simmer 5 minutes longer.

About 45 minutes into the simmering beef & veggie; remove the mashed potatoes from the ‘fridge, and allow to soften at room temperature while the shepherd’s pie filling finishes cooking & thickening.

Lightly spray foil baking pan, and spoon blended beef mixture into it.

Top beef mixture with potato mixture: leaving space along the pan edges for steam to escape so there will be no oven messes to clean up.

Mashed Potato mixture spooned & leveled atop the beef pie filling.

Bake at 375-degrees F for 10 minutes - or until heated through … and the potato topping is lightly browned.

CAREFULLY remove casserole from oven (foil pans are not as sturdy as metal or glass pans) - so, to make transfer from oven to countertop easy and safe … slide a dinner plate under the hot foil baking pan to move it from the oven to the hot pad, on the counter top.

PER SERVING: 373 calories; 26 g protein; 17 g fat; 30 g carbohydrate; 916 mg sodium

After Supper dishes were done, I paced myself while I worked on finishing the sleeves to the little preemie sacque I started a few days ago:

Working these little sacque sleeves 'in the round' using 4 DBL point needles.
24 rows 'in the round' - 10 sts-10 sts-10 sts to EA needle.

Today was a good day :-)

I was tired when I woke up - I am still tired as I post this Blog Post; but I am also glad Holland got me out of the house for a bit … where my painful, struggling lungs, could soak up fresh air. And I am thankful Elohim has graced me with the strength needed to comfort my husband with a satisfying meal … and strength to end the day in a favorite relaxing way.

I have a good God.

I have a good husband.

I have a good Life.

All is well with my soul, and my Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment