God Knew That I Needed You

Friday, May 3, 2024

THE DEPOT~Seaview-WA


May 2nd: I've been sleeping pretty much around the clock; asthma is seriously draining me :-(

So, this morning when Holland saw me looking out my window, he knew I was missing my Bible Study gal pals. He said, "How about we get you out of the house, and get some fresh air for you." I am so worn out from trying to stay alive … but, I agreed. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired; some fresh air sounded wonderful.

We originally drove down the road a bit to the Ocean Park Beach Approach - about 5 minutes from our front door, and Holland's favorite waves viewing spot ;-)

As we were getting into Betsy, I noticed busy bees flitting among the little white flowers I assumed to be ground daisies … they were wild alpine strawberries instead.

And I spied a heavily blooming Lilac, across the street.

Strawberries, out our front door!~Ocean Bay Mobile & RV Park; #2515 Bay Ave, Ocean Park, WA
Wild Strawberries of the PNW
(https://www.wnps.org/blog/wild-strawberries-of-pnw)
Lilacs blooming, across the street.
A calm ocean today; Ocean Park Access-WA; #1100 Bay Ave, Ocean Park, WA

The waves were so calm today.

That made me curious.

So, I asked Holland if we could drive to the Seaview Approach and see what the waves looked like there: to me, they seem to be wilder at that end of the beach.

There were surprises waiting for us there ;-)

A little wilder - but still mild; Seaview Approach-WA
What is that, on the beach; Seaview-WA
A dead baby whale; and people vultures were already picking it clean.

We noticed something on the beach - and people milling around; Holland said it was probably a beached whale: he was right. The stench lingered on the ocean winds, for miles up and down the beach: a salty, ocean-briny-rot odor. Very ripe.

Then he told me about a dead beached whale that had been blown up around Coos Bay-OR; seeing my raised eyebrows, he said, "Go research it. It really happened". And I burst out laughing at the sheer spectacle of flying whale fat.

But, nothing could have prepared me for the actual footage.

OMG


It really wasn't funny; it was actually pretty seriously dangerous for the spectators - but, I am still laughing.

Exploding Whale 50th Anniversary, Remastered!: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPuaSY0cMK8 & Exploding Whale; Florence-ORhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_whale)

Beach drive …
Beard's Hollow, in the distance.
A Bald-headed Eagle, and his mate.
And there, at that rocky point, is where my life nearly ended in the Summer of 1971.

My new POW stepfather swam out to retrieve me - he was chest deep in waves when he grabbed me, and seriously said, "If you struggle on the swim back, I will knock you out". The waves definitely were not safe, for either of us - and John wasn't being mean spirited: he said it very calmly. He knew I was uncomfortable in deep water, and I knew that if I panicked, both of us would have perished. I had been teenage stupid, and he would have been justified.

Seaview Approach-WA

As we left the beach behind, we spied The Depot Restaurant … and Holland nipped into their parking lot: he remembered the convo with locals the other day.

I noticed, as we pulled around the building to park, that The Depot has it's own chuck wagon … if the food is good today, I will be looking for it among the other's :-)

This is the only depot still in its original location; and it is currently operating as The Depot Restaurant, which celebrates local history by maintaining the building; and filling the interior with railroad murals, memorabilia, and life.

This is the only Clam Shell Railroad Depot still in its original location.
The Depot Restaurant, located at #1208 38th Pl, Seaview, WA
This historic 132 year old Train Depot feels like a French Café, with it's cozy interior and retro vibe.
Tables are set up very nicely; dry statice flowers, dried teasel stems, and evergreen sprigs.
The Depot's Margarita … (((NO!))) I did not like it at all :-(
Beautiful Wall Mural.
Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company~Clamshell Railroad:
 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilwaco_Railway_and_Navigation_Company & https://www.chinookobserver.com/life/seaview-and-clamshell-railroad/article_4163f726-b522-5c23-a7b3-90a201f6887c.html)
Railway Poster.
The restaurant features a Display Kitchen, where you can watch your meal being prepared ;-)
The 'Clamshell' Engine, hung above our table.
Clamshell Railroad’s First Run Recalled:
 (https://www.chinookobserver.com/life/history/clamshell-railroad-s-first-run-recalled/article_1420f387-4a9c-5c48-96a2-8449fb7e93bd.html)
We both ordered the 'Tinker's Treasure' Burger with Tots; YUMMY! The burgers were fat and juicy-messy … but delicious; I wore my napkin as a shirt bib - and was glad I did ;-)
The food here is top cuisine, and the prices are reasonable.
The margarita was small compared to other places; on the steep side, and not very tasty; the large sized coke was priced right, & the burgers were reasonably priced.

The gourmet 'Tinker's Treasure' Burgers were a delight to the taste buds; made with a hefty beef patty, goat cheese, red onion, shallot, mushrooms, & baby greens - and a side of special house sauce with the tots.

I'm not going to lie: the total tally was spendy, but also worth every penny. The food was top-hat, the service was attentive … and informative. We learned a lot about the place, the ownership, and other local places to explore and enjoy ;-)

This was very good restaurant meal at a reasonable price when you consider that you will be forking out $21 for a Subway sandwich! NO

And $30 is the predicted price for a Hamburger at a fast food place! NO

Thank you, Husband, for a Day Out; thank you for treating me to a spoiling day, even when I look a fright & feel out of sorts ;-)
This trip back to WA, we've tried most of the food offerings, from Seaview to Long Beach.
We plan on checking this out too, at some point - it's literally 5 minutes away.

Today was a good Day, spent with my loving Husband; next Thursday though, I hope to be with the girls in Rosburg.

Holland understands - and is supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment