God Knew That I Needed You

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

BATTLE GROUND BOOK RUN~Woodland-WA

Last night I finished reading the 2nd novel I had bought at an estate sale last Friday - they were both good reads.

This morning I woke up and knew I'd be tracking down more books at some point during the day: if we are going to be here for a lengthy stay before Independence is returned back to us, I'm going to need books. My Clive Cussler novels are in storage. Somewhere.

I need books.

So, after I drank two cups of coffee and dressed for the day, I said to Holland, "I need more books, so I need to make a book run to the nearest Goodwill to grab some: which is closer - Battle Ground-WA, or Scappoose-OR?" He replied, "Battle Ground; it's only 20 minutes from here. Scappoose is way further … and you would have to go through Portland, the back way." I do not want to drive through Portland. Not even for books. I said I'd drive to Battle Ground (I like that drive), but I'd drive the backroad out of Woodland (it's longer, but less stressful than freeway traffic).

When I had come out of the bathroom dressed and ready to hit the road, Holland was waiting for me - and said he'd drive me.

That works for me. I wouldn't mind the company - the weather forecast promised blue skies and plenty of sunshine: we both, could use both.

And it works for him. I was right in assuming we'd be taking the freeway (and that was okay, too - I've never been to Battleground via freeway; it was a new experience). And I smiled to myself because his readiness to make a book run with me was in part because he noticed that when I get lost in a good storyline - I stay lost … and quiet. Very quiet. Quiet works very well for Holland ;-)

And he knows I hate being hemmed in by four walls.

The drive was nice.


The drive was sunny.

The drive was filled with music, gentle speak, and laughter.

I'm glad he drove me there because the parking lot was pretty tight for Betsy - a smaller vehicle wouldn't have any trouble … but we refer to Betsy as "Beast Betsy" for a reason - she is long and wide. If I had gone alone, I probably wouldn't have even tried - and come back empty-handed.

Battle Ground-WA from Woodland-WA; 21 min (16.1 mi) via I-5 S and WA-502
Holland prefers the freeway; I still got a shot of Mt. St. Helens … and saw Mt, Adams, too, later on ;-)
Main roadway to - and thru - Battle Ground.
Actions speak louder than words … Holland is a man of few words; action is his love language.

When I made my selections, and got back in the truck, Holland asked, "Did you find what you wanted? Did you have enough money? Do you need more money?" I replied, "Yes - I found four books that appear promising; I do not need any more money; and I still have $6 left of what I went into the store with … hey, you know what? How about a drive to Scappoose - it would be a nice drive, and I could snag a few more books." Then I howled with laughter at his expression: I already knew what his answer would be, but I couldn't resist a little teasing ;-)

I get a bang out of yanking Holland's chain - and he asks for it by asking leading queries. LOL

I don't mind not going to Scappoose-OR; today is the second time in two days that Holland has ferried me to places that mean something to me - yesterday, he helped me find a place I plan to visit this weekend … and if I like the atmosphere, I will continue to frequent it as long as we are hunkered down here, in Woodland-WA:

He drove me here yesterday to check out the parking lot … I wanted to make sure I can maneuver Beast Betsy without worrying that I will back into someone's vehicle, or scrape down the side of someone's vehicle trying to pull in, or out, of a parking spot. If the parking would be too tight, I would have passed on visitation.
I need this for me … and I'll field the inevitable questions of "are you married? Where's your husband?" with grace.

When we got back to the motel, I put my books on my nightstand; and selected tonight's read …

$8
I feel like reading a sci-fi tonight ;-)

These do actually taste kinda like movie theatre buttered popcorn …

Holland is going to spend his time tonight (and every night while hunkering here, with spotty internet), watching TV and appreciating my quiet time love for books: I can almost hear his mind running 'Oh Happy Days' through it's brain coils :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment