God Knew That I Needed You

Saturday, December 16, 2023

MAKING PLACE FOR AMBIANCE

We had to run into town this afternoon to grab some kitchen garbage bags - along the way, I spotted this heart shape cutting it's way through a thick cloud …

Heart-shaped cloud shaping up ;-)
And the depth of the cloud fluff is showing.

Our destination was a store called Fry's.

I had never shopped in one before, but Holland has.

A new store for me, a store Holland is familiar with.

Inside, it resembles a Safeway and Shop-n-Kart combined.

Holland and Bleu stayed behind, relaxing in Betsy; we didn't think Bleu would be as welcomed in Fry's as he is in Wal*Mart, so they sat in the 4x listening to music and people watching :-)

I was probably in the store for an hour because I'm not used to the layout, and did several backtrack laps through the aisles to locate things on the List.

I also grabbed some things that weren't on the list … like this colorful garland swag (there are 2 more, too ;-)), that I hung while Bleu and Holland enjoyed a short siesta.

Festive Lights Garland strung while Holland napped.

And some goodies; a little box of candy canes for me, and a tub of peppermint candies for Holland.

I was looking for the tiny canes because I thought they'd look better hung on my crochet christmas cactus, but all Fry's had was the big ones … so, I did the best I could with them, and I don't think they look too bad, hung the way I hung them ;-)

Candy Canes ready for plucking & enjoying.
Peppermints for Holland - he loves these things.

When Holland woke up - and noticed the strung garland and candy canes, I said, "I know you don't "do" the "christmas thing" - and I agree with you that tree adornment and crazy debit to outshine the jones has gotten out of hand and soured the holiday. But, I think a little bit of festivity is okay: I'm not going wild with decorations, and I'm not lavishly waving the card around - everything I'm using to add a bit of holiday ambiance didn't cost much, can easily be stored flat using minimum space; and it will last several years - except the candy, and that's a sweet indulgence that will make the holiday lip-smacking enjoyable. I don't want to rack up debt, either: but I do like bright garlands, and I do like candy canes and christmas cookies in December. December is my BD month, and I like it to be enjoyable. I like color in my life."

He smiled and said, "I've noticed." He was referring to my flamingo makeup and clothing when I get dolled up ;-)

But he was also noting the garland, and candy, too.

And he asked, "Where are the lights?" I said, "I returned them last week - they were really too long, and the electric outlets available won't work without looking hillbillyish. I really want battery operated ones, anyway. Maybe when we get back up north, where we have an actual mailbox, we can look for some online?"

HE AGREED!

It's a Shabbat miracle ;-)

Holland has been very vocal about his avoidance of christmas madness. But, he is bending to allow some festive attitude, and atmosphere in our home. He understands why I want a little low-key holiday "pop"; and I, in return, acknowledge and understand why he wants the holiday festivities to be kept low-key.

No comments:

Post a Comment