This afternoon, we drove out to our Olequa country haunt π, for a little shooting exercise - you would be amazed at how many muscles π¦Άπͺππ️♀️ you work simply by lifting your arm and squeezing a tiny trigger π
So, I did some flexibility exercises π§ before we left:
I like being in the country π³ππ²
I like this particular country drive: it is my husband's stomping grounds; where he grew into a man, participated in manly activities … and is now sharing it, with me π©❤️ππ¨ My marriage motto is - if it's not illegal, amorral … or won't destroy the relationship: do it. Life is short and moments lost can't be recaptured.
I love my husband.
I like being in the forested countryside.
I like target practice, and I intend to keep at it until I am as good as I used to be. Until Holland came into my life, I hadn't handled a firearm in 20 years. I had my own Ruger that I liked to shoot, & Bob had a turn of the century bolt rifle that had been gifted to him from his Grandfather Smalley - I liked to shoot that rifle, too. Bob used to call me Annie Oakley, and we'd both laugh; I wasn't as good as Bob - but, I was pretty good. Now, I want to get back up to speed & match Holland … or, at least, make a few bulls-eye's π―
Today we were going to be shooting new guns: Holland bought them 4 years ago (about 6 months before WE became US); there has been so much happening since we got married, that is is the 1st time we've had the time to enjoy using them ππ He has gifted me the smaller one π€
They needed to be prepped before use … so, I walked around the area - peeking over the cliff edge, looking out into the region's distance, looking at the fading flowers, & watching busy bees:
An hour later, leaving the forest behind; we grabbed a Gateway Hamburger ππ for Supper, as we passed through Castle Rock, on the way home.
It was a fun Day out-of-house.
It was enjoyable time spent together π
Holland tuned into his YouTube channels π»ππ§ and updated me on the river activity at Willow Grove, that we had noticed 3 days ago while driving along the river road towards the County Park:
UPDATE: A World War II-era vessel has been recovered from the waters near Willows Grove, Washington, marking a significant maritime archaeology find in the Pacific Northwest. The ship, identified as a WWII-era craft, was lifted from the seabed in the Willows Grove area.
Apparently, someone had purchased the vessel, planning to make a B & B out of it … but, a log in the Willow Grove waters broke loose and punctured the ship's side, sinking it.
{{A WWII-era submarine chaser, SC‑772, sank at its pier in Longview, WA (6400 Willow Grove Rd) on June 28, 2022 while undergoing restoration. The 110‑foot wooden‑hulled vessel, originally commissioned in 1943 to hunt Axis submarines along the Pacific Coast, had been de‑commissioned in 1945 and later passed through several private owners before being repurposed as a bed and breakfast.
The SC‑772 was armed with a 40mm gun mount, twin .50 cal machine guns, depth charge projectors, and 14 depth charges during WWII. It's sinking at Willow Grove, marks both a maritime accident and a preservation challenge, as the vessel is now part of the local maritime history.
Global Diving & Salvage played a key role in the safe recovery of SC‑772, removing hazardous oil and supporting environmental protection, while preserving a piece of WWII naval history for the Longview community.}}
And the rest of my evening belonged to Clive π, as a new Read π opened up another Mayan adventure.
{{In 1537, a Catholic Dominican mission was established in Rabinal, Guatemala, by the friar BartolomΓ© de las Casas as part of his pacification strategy for the “Land of War” highlands.
Las Casas, on his second visit to Guatemala, chose Rabinal because it was an unconquered territory with no prior Spanish settlements. He and a group of Dominican friars arrived there in 1537, aiming to convert the local Achi Maya people through peaceful, voluntary means rather than military conquest. His method involved teaching Christian songs to Christianized indigenous merchants, who then carried the message into surrounding areas, leading to the conversion of several native chiefs, including those of AtitlΓ‘n and Chichicastenango.
By 1538, enough Christian converts had gathered in Rabinal that the settlement was recognized as a mission site. Construction of a Baroque-style Catholic church began soon after, dedicated to San Pablo ApΓ³stol, and was completed in 1572. This church remains a key historical and cultural landmark in Rabinal, Baja Verapaz, and is part of the Route of Dominican Evangelization in Guatemala.
The San Pablo ApΓ³stol was indeed a Dominican mission in 1537, and is an active parish with a living community today, though it is undergoing important restoration work, especially for its convent, to preserve its historical and spiritual significance.
~Condensed info from various information sites}}




















No comments:
Post a Comment