God Knew That I Needed You

Monday, September 9, 2024

TOUTLE RIVER: Castle Rock-WA


I didn't sleep very well this morning; painful memories crept unbidden into my thoughts in the wee morning hours, and Holland gently shook me awake when he heard me weeping.

Hard memories had come visiting when my guard was down.

I apologized for waking him, and told him that September through December will always be a a hard period of time, for me - I do not court the memories, but they come anyway. He pulled me into him, and held me until the tears stopped. We talked about half an hour: sharing memories along the same vein of thought that had sent the sandman packing. There are hard memories for both of us in WA State, it's a comfort to comfort each other.


I think we both finally fell asleep again, around 3 AM.

When we woke again … and fully shook the cobwebs; Holland suggested we go down to the river for a while.

Garth Brooks - 'The River': 
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgUQ7lMKOs)

He wanted to get me out of my head.

I agreed.


He took me to a different river!

It was a wonderful surprise :-)


This is a new memory I am sharing with my new husband: I am thankful for these blessings.

We drove off a spur by the  shooting range, to the river.
Toutle River; Castle Rock-WA
The water is very clear …
A couple leisurely walking, across the river.
Holland says the sand is new to this beach, since the eruption.
1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens:  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_eruption_of_Mount_St._Helens)
In the winter months, the river reaches the highlighted high-water mark.
All this will be under water, around November.

I was still tired, so I took a 45 minute rest after we got back home.


Around 4 PM, we drove into Longview and treated ourselves to yummy ice creams; the next two days are going to be busy ones - this moment is for enjoyment ;-)

A Baskins-Robbins treat ;-)

The day ended with a lovely pink sunset: no pics - Holland does not pull over while enroute anywhere (the other day's pull-over-moment, was truly a small miracle) and the  windshield was splotchy with bug guts.

You'll just have to take my word for it. I was lovely.

Back home, I worked a bit on the preemie sleep sack, before I turned in for good. Tomorrow will start early - and it will be busy. All day long.

I am glad for the comfort I received today … and I am glad that I can give comfort to others also needing an extended hand in kindness.

One sleeve finished …

No comments:

Post a Comment