GOD KNEW I NEEDED YOU

Friday, August 14, 2026

NOVEL ADVENTURE & SHABBAT RELAXATION~Self-Care 2026; Castle Rock-WA

Woke up to more cloud-cover-smoke-hazed sky ☁️, due to large-scale Washington and British Columbia wildfires - combined with north-northeast winds blowing in off the coast ๐ŸŒฌ️ … that carries smoke across the region toward the Cascades, swirling it down into lower valley levels, worsening haze & making my eyes itchy-burning-teary, causing me to wheeze and cough, & putting strains on my lungs and angina condition.

Asthma & angina conditions are further complicated by the overhanging smoke haze.

It's not much fun here, in the moment ๐Ÿคจ

The lingering smokey overhang covering the early 6 AM morning sky (Blue shadow showing in the pic, is the interior blue light backflash - can't be avoided; I'm not stepping outside until I absolutely have to).

It's exhausting ๐Ÿ˜• trying to stay alive in a risky environment.

So, I sat down at the little table, to enjoy a hazelnut flavored coffee - and my current Cussler Read ☕️๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿคฐ

A Cussler~Fargo adventure with a Viking backstory.

Today, Clive's story opened by walking me through the streets of old Havana-Cuba, with the Fargo's. Picking up Hemmingway vibes, sweltering in the jungle heat, & scheming of ways to breach the Marro Castle lockdown; the castle dungeon region may reveal a stolen secret link to the Viking/Toltec mystery ๐Ÿ”

Remi = Mrs. Fargo of the daredevil duo, seemed particularly interested in visiting Hemmingway's Cuba haunts, & sampling his "born here, Hemmingway recipe" favored alcoholic beverages ๐Ÿธ

Picking up where I left off, last night.
From Cancun, Mexico to Havana, Cuba
Calle Del Obispo, One Of The Most Touristic Street In Havana
Central Havana, A Few Minutes Walk From The Touristic Center
La Bodeguita del Medio~Apparently where Hemmingway spent most of his time.
Most of Havana-Cuba looks like this; it's a communist country stuck in a 1959 time warp - too poor by communist rule, to pull itself into 2026.
Marro Castle, Cuba
Today's adventure begins here, at the barred tunnel~Marro Castle, Cuba
A tight escape from Havana, Cuba - back to Cancun, Mexico

Ernest Hemmingway and his books never interested me; so, I don't know anything about him except what I've read over the decades in historical footnotes, magazine articles, and internet gleanings. I have seen pictures of him appearing very comfortable & friendly with fidel castro, & articles paint him as someone openly supporting socialist ideology and communist causes - despite literary patrons claiming he was a political conservative. I suppose one could say that Hemmingway was the 1960's image, of today's [conservative heckler] tucker carlson: an ex-pat with a bone to chew and a complaint to grind against America. Beings that want something for nothing & to have their substance supported by the very people they disdain - and a country they hold in contempt: while pocketing the wealth gleaned from the capitalism they sneer at. No, I feel no interest of mine, leaning in that direction.

But Clive's storyline is good ✍️; and takes my thoughts to far-flung places ๐Ÿง ๐Ÿ“–๐ŸŒŽ My gypsy hearted spirit likes that ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ˜‰

While Holland was snoozing, I put my fantasy jet-set adventure aside, & spent some time in the spare room - my workout today was simple; but it did activate some (minimal, to be sure; but some is better than none) cardiovascular and aerobic benefits ๐Ÿ‘

I've included warm-up movements & alternative workout exercises for those who may not be able to do the regular physical movements.

A safe senior warm-up before cardio should last 8–15 minutes, include gentle dynamic movements for all major joints, and gradually raise your heart rate to prepare your body for aerobic activity. By following this warm-up, you’ll help your muscles, joints, and heart adapt to the upcoming cardiovascular workout, reducing injury risk and improving performance:

Bodyweight Standing Toe~8 to 10 reps x2
Overhead Arm-Reach Stretch~Aim for 10 reps x2
Bodyweight Side Stretch~Aim for 10 reps x2
Standing Abs Rotation Stretch~Aim for 10 reps x2
Standing Backside Leg Swing~Aim for 10 reps EA Leg, x2
Standing Side Leg Lifts~10 reps EA side x2
Duration of Warm Up Routine (this is a "safe" zone for my lungs & heart when the air quality is sketchy).

I don't mind telling you all that after the warm up routine ๐Ÿง˜, I was wondering if I'd be able to do a workout - the warm-up just about drained my battery with this overhanging wildfire haze!

I managed - only because it was a light workout.

But don't be fooled by how easy it looks … it may be simplistic, but it is effective:

It's okay to back the 20 ct. down to 10-15 ct.
Muscles Worked
Side Step Jacks~Aim for 10 reps EA side, x2
ALTERNATIVE1 - Jumping Jacks with Side Arms Lifts~Aim for 10 reps x2
ALTERNATIVE2 - Seated Side Jacks~Aim for 10 EA side, x2
Squat Into Calf Raise~Aim for 10 reps x2
Back Leg Raises~Aim for 10 reps x2
ALTERNATIVE Barre Sculpt Rear Leg-Lifts & Front Scoop~Aim for 10 reps EA leg, x2
ALTERNATIVE: To me, this form of bodyweight dead;ifts, seemed safer for seniors; Standing Bodyweight Romanian Deadlift~Aim for 10-12 reps x2
Split Lunge~Aim for 10 reps x2
ALTERNATIVE - Chair assist Lunge~Aim for 10 reps x2
Duration of Warm Up Routine & Light Workout: 11 mins & 43 secs. You will burn more calories if you step up the pace into high aerobic mode - I do not recommend high aerobic mode for seniors.

As I was finishing my workout, Holland came downstairs … and I said I was going to drive "to the river, for a walk" ๐Ÿš˜๐ŸŒŠ I have been missing my walkabouts ๐Ÿšถ‍♀️, & the sun on my skin ☀️ Hopefully, the air would be clearer, too.

It would be a good, cooling, drive.

And, of course, Clive went with me ๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ˜‰

Willow Grove Park, from Castle Rock: Take I-5 S and WA-411 N to Delameter Rd., which ties into Coal Creek Rd: cross Ocean Beach Highway onto WA-432 E in Longview & turn right onto Willow Grove Rd … following road to Park entrance, on the left~34 min (21.8 miles)
The breathable air & the river breeze were wonderful!
I started my walk, here; Willow Grove, Longview-WA. The JASMINE K Bulk Carrier built in 2023 (3 years old) and sailing under the flag of Panama. It is currently anchored in the Columbia River, off Willow Grove - since August 8th, waiting for it's Port of Longview docking orders.
I don't think she'll find the type of waves, she's looking for …
Rustling leaves, birdsong & clear skies. A good start to Shabbat Eve.
Minutes from where I parked Betsy; a little breezy, but still warm. Not much river activity.
Mileage tally of trail walk.
Hit my walking mileage. YAY 
The humidity was nearly as high as the temperature.
I'm on target for my daily movement requirement, too~GOOD Day.
And my heart behaved - even when the beat spiked. At 131 bpm, I am [just above the upper limit] for most people in their 70s; in the vigorous range, but not necessarily dangerous for a fit person - even with arrhythmia - if I can stop walking and return to a resting heart rate within minutes (which I can & am capable of doing). Results tell me, "You are in good cardiovascular health".
My hair was soaked from sweat - but the AC was humming & I wasn't ready to go home, yet …
I read a few more chapters & was whisked away to Laos, Thailand.

When the Fargo adventure jetted off to Bangkok … 

Bangkok is the capital city and chief port of Thailand.

… it was time to shut the book covers, and head Betsy's nose towards home.

I was also thinking it's time for relaxation with Jonathan Settle's music - I haven't heard it in a while (since Bob's spirit left Earth; Holland does not join me in my Friday-Saturday 24 hour time of soul refreshment): I miss that special time. My weekend needs Jonathan in it ✡️๐Ÿท๐Ÿพ☝️ ✝️๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ•Š️

Jonathan Settel - Messianic Music Playlist: 
(https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBw5NPUlq2gm0ki9ypMeGIdap5vYpaKfK)

No comments:

Post a Comment