In my youthful years - and even the first 2 years of my 1st marriage - I would have occasional eczema outbreaks; the angry rash during those first 2 years of married life was the worst. Bob took me to a skin specialist, who diagnosed me - then explained to Bob that the rash was due to unexpressed emotional upheaval, & that I needed to be able to express myself more freely. The rash was not due to anything Bob was doing - or not doing: it was the direct result of childhood trauma fallouts from a highly dysfunctional family background. I had learned that it was safest to stay quiet & unseen. When I married Bob - he came with his own dysfunctional childhood traumas & a messy divorce. He had visitation rights, and a crazy ex-wife to deal with. Our marriage was good - but I was a teenage bride, who in 9 months from our "I Do's" … added a new life to the population count. I was internalizing a lot, to keep peace in my life; and in our home.
The doctor explained very carefully to Bob that I would need the freedom to be able to open up and express myself. Bob was a good man - he gave me free rein to express, and the rash went away. I kept expressing myself, to the chagrin of overbearing family members, relatives, and children. But Bob understood - and that's all that mattered.
"No" became a standard: I no longer faded into the background to be ignored or bullied. I no longer silenced my voice. I no longer tailored my responses, or replies, to fit someone else's narrative of how my life was to be lived - or accepted. I became "difficult!" for self-centered people to handle. I shouldered the "hateful person!" accusation hurled at me from narcisstic egos - I knew I wasn't hateful … I just was no longer going to "go with the flow" when the flow was foul; I was not going to be forced to accept what was unacceptable to me.
And I'm still standing that ground.
"No" is a complete sentence that does not need to be explained. To anyone. For any reason. "No" is a necessary line in the sand - it is not a dare: it is a healthy boundary for a well-balanced life.
"No" is vital, important, self-care.
*************************
It is a scientific fact, rather than a theory, about why the most giving, most self-sacrificing, never-say-no people so often end up with their bodies breaking down.
The simply - and a little terrifyingly fact - is that when you spend a lifetime unable to say no, even with your words, eventually your body says it for you.
1) The mind and body were never separate.
We were raised to treat them as two different departments - the emotional stuff over here, the physical stuff over there - but well-being studies dismantle that mindset, completely. Your nervous system, your hormones, your immune system, and your emotions are one single conversation. What happens in your feelings happens in your cells. Once you really absorb that, you can't go back to thinking of stress as "just in your head."
2) Suppressed emotion doesn't disappear; it goes underground.
The anger you swallow, the exhaustion you override, the needs you ignore - none of it evaporates: it settles into the body and quietly accumulates, sometimes for decades, before it ever shows up as a symptom. The people who "never let anything bother them" aren't processing the stress. They're storing it … and eventually, it will raise it's head and show itself in unexpected physical form.
3) Anger is a boundary, and so is your immune system.
Studies show that anger and your immune defenses do the same job - they both protect your edges, they both say this far and no further. So when you spend a life refusing to feel anger, refusing to defend your own boundaries, your immune system can lose the thread too.
Sometimes it stops defending you. Sometimes, in autoimmune disease, it turns and attacks the body it was built to protect.
4) Saying no is not selfish. It might be survival.
The relentless caretakers, the ones who put everyone first and cannot register their own needs - become the sickest patients. The best prescription doesn't come from a doctor's notepad to a pharmaceutical outlet … it comes from learning to feel your own feelings, honor your own limits, and say no out loud. Not as an indulgence. As medicine.
Disease is never one single thing: hidden, chronic emotional stress is a real risk factor we've been trained to ignore, and tending to it is not weakness. It's part of healing.


No comments:
Post a Comment