It was a rocking, wet, Day here: a miserable time to be out & about, but I had a dentist appointment at 9 AM - so, we bundled up & braved the stormy weather ☔️⚡️
When I got back from the dentist, I decided to design & craft ππ§Ά✂️ another paperback cover π … I get bored easily, and this seemed something I could do that would occupy my time until the Novocain πwore off - it was also a chance to try a new crochet pattern (not my own pattern, but an interesting one I saw viewing an online reel), which I used for the cover trim π
This pattern used very simple, basic crochet sts - even the trim that may sound complicated, is actually a very simplistic, repeating pattern; easy & quick to do.
********************
Materials: Red Heart Worsted Yarn, in MC, CC1 & CC2; small amount of scrap yarn for a length of marker yarn; Sock Yarn, small amount in matching color (or contrast color if desired) #I-9 & #1 aluminum crochet hooks; scissors; tapestry needle; trim of choice (if trim is desired)
Terms used:
MC = main color
CC = contrast color
ch = chain
EO = end off
rem'g = remaining
rpt = repeat
r = row
sc = single crochet
T = turn
With MC yarn, & crochet hook, make a chain of 49; T
Row 1: Ch 1 and sc in 8 ch, place marker, sc in next 32 ch, place marker, sc in rem'g 8 ch; ch 1 & T
Work in sc rows, until you have completed 30 rows total - moving marker up row to keep count accurate. EO
Trim: With a length of scrap yarn, mark where you want your trim placement.
With crochet hook, attach CC1 to bottom edge of trim placement marker - draw up 4 loops, centering evenly.
Yo & draw yarn through all loops on hook.
Holding 1st loop against hook shank, slip the hook tip under the next 3 loops … yo, & draw yarn through the 3 loops.
Hold 2 loops against hook shank, slip the hook tip under the next 3 loops … yo, & draw yarn through the 2 loops.
Hold 3 loops against hook shank, slip the hook tip under the last loop … yo, & draw yarn through all 4 loops on hook.
Repeat the loop process, until you have reached the length needed. EO & weave in loose ends.
With a light hand, tack the trim in place.
With CC2 & crochet hook, secure the trim to book cover with sl sts. EO & weave in loose ends.
Finishing: With RS facing, fold 10 sts of the flap backward & whipstitch EA end closed - weave in loose ends. Turn flap inward to make a pocket to slip cover edge into.
Repeat with other cover flap, in same manner.
I did not make a bookmark for this cover, but I have included my method for making a bookmark if one is desired:
Page Marker: With #1 hook & sock yarn; attach yarn in center top of Book Cover, & make a ch of chosen length - attach trim (or not) & back chain to beginning ch. EO and weave in loose ends.
Oh my goodness Val this is genius! You are so creative. This is so unique.
ReplyDeleteThanks bunches for sharing with Sweet Tea & Friends this month Sweet friend.
Thanks Paula - I don't know about being a genius … but I do like to be engaged in creativity & new patterns π
DeleteAlways glad to see that you have paid a visit; have a funtastic week, Friend!