God Knew That I Needed You

Monday, November 20, 2023

INDIAN NATION TIES


My BIL Rick, posted this song on his FB Page - and as I have Blackfoot DNA, a Grandson-in-Law who is Native American, a niece who is Piute Indian, and a dear friend who is Cowlitz Indian … as well as a new husband who is Cherokee Indian (and possibly also Blackfoot, like me) - I thought I'd share the song :-)

'Indian Reservation' song | Paul Revere and the Raiders | Lyrics: 
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhf_u0M6k9k)

Holland's family has Indian Nation ties, too; though they did not grow up on a reservation: they had their own family business, and Holland's mother found land in Vader-WA .. that the family bought, and turned into a Ranch. Holland talks about spending time there throughout his life - and I've been there many times, with him and with Crystal.

Holland was very close with his Grandparents.

They loved his Mother, Ruth, like a daughter.

Holland's Grandparents; Father, & Aunts; Holland was named after his Grandfather, Holland (aka, 'Blackie').
Holland, 27 yrs. In this picture of Holland, I SEE his Grandmother Ruby's chin & mouth, Blackie's high cheek bones, and his Father's eyes … he IS a true Redmill.

I asked Holland how his grandparents weathered an interracial marriage at a time when racism was rife in ALL RACES, in America. He said, "Thiers was not an interracial marriage" - both his grandfather & grandmother were Indians: Grandfather was at least half Cherokee, and Grandmother was 20% Indian also (either Blackfoot, or Choctaw - he isn't sure which).

I know there is Blackfoot blood in there somewhere … because Jake, Crystal (Holland's cousins), and I talked about our shared Blackfoot Indian blood before Holland and I were even "a thing" ;-)

Holland says his mother also had Indian blood in her veins (not sure what tribe; but less than a quarter); his entire family - both branches - were from Oklahoma, before moving to CA (Redmills moved to Winters-CA & Harris's moved to Layton-CA) … his parents met at Bible College in, or around, Santa Cruz-CA.

Holland; October 2023~Quartzsite-AZ. One would never know, unless he told … that he is part Native American; large part, Cherokee.

No comments:

Post a Comment